About Me

My photo
Writer, Facilitator, Teacher, Author, Minister of the Gospel, Soft-skills Consultant

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

God, Are You Listening?

Ever wonder if God is too busy to hear your prayer? Or maybe because of your past He’s just not listening to you?
You’ve prayed and waited but heaven is silent and the chaos continues in your life. One mess after another, always bobbing up and down in the storm, hope somehow stays just out of reach. You quote scripture after scripture, “He’ll never leave me nor forsake me, No weapon formed against me shall prosper, the prayers of the righteous availith much, I have mustard seed faith, mountain be moved!” When you’ve done all you can do, the billows still role with a vengeance.
Somehow everyone is getting through to heaven but you, how long will it take, why won’t He listen to you? There are many who have found themselves at this place, lonely tired, drained. It’s like hitting a brick wall with a snowball.
Finding myself facing the immoveable and wondering why, caused me to be still and listen. It allowed me to see that I was always asking and never waiting for an answer. I couldn’t hear from God because I wasn’t listening, always getting off of my knees and trying the next thing hoping it would fix the problem. What would make the cycle spin faster was my propensity to blame God when my next great idea failed. I even used the same flawed method with fasting, giving up something as a sacrifice and filling that time with earthly business rather than with the Lord.
My lesson became clear, God heard me but I wasn’t listening to Him. I finally understood what the disciples must have felt like when they tried to cast the spirit from the little boy and failed. When they asked Jesus why they had failed, Jesus responded “This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.” Mark 9:29. Fasting is the intimate time that we spend with God so that we can hear what he has to say to us not to fill the time with things to keep us busy. “The steps of a righteous man are ordered by the Lord.” Faith comes by hearing!

Clearly a lesson I needed to learn and I hope that sharing it will bless you!

“Go out and feed some sheep today”

No comments:

Post a Comment